Digital Media Manager
KMBC, Hearst’s multi-platform operation in Kansas City, is looking for a Digital Media Manager to oversee its growing web, mobile and social platforms. The Digital Media Manager is responsible for overall management and direction for all digital content efforts. The DMM helps craft and execute the strategy and tactics to achieve our journalistic, content and business goals. You will be responsible for working with our news crews, producers and assignment editors to assign and produce content every day. This is a key leadership position in our newsroom. Candidate must want to work hard and win! An ideal candidate will have at least five years of digital management experience at a multiplatform media organization.
- Works with newsroom to identify engaging content, determining what form (i.e. video, text, graphics), and posting to digital and social channels, in order to maximize traffic and revenue.
- Creatively develops unique content, event coverage and project ideas for station-branded mobile, web and social media platforms.
- Drives innovation in digital video production for KMBC, creating new formats for web and social distribution.
- Takes an active role in daily editorial decision-making as a trusted member of the news management team.
- Works closely with News Director to develop and execute strategies for breaking news, daily and enterprise coverage.
- Staff leader in leveraging social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other emerging social platforms, and working with on-air talent and other contributors to maximize their efforts to engage the audience and build brand awareness.
- Works closely with marketing to prioritize the growth of customers on Facebook, UGC and email, and the interaction with them.
- Interfaces with corporate digital management on small, medium and large scale news and content initiatives.
- Directs staff on best practices to optimize content areas of mobile and desktop sites, as well as social media.
- Regularly communicates pertinent metrics concerning digital growth and trends to News Director, GM and necessary staff; special attention paid to daily metric measurement
- Manages a team of digital editors and directs other newsroom personnel contributing to the digital product at KMBC.
- Proven history of leadership and innovation.
- Superior editorial and ethical instincts.
- Skilled in Adobe Premiere or similar video editing software, as well as Photoshop and other tools for creating digital content.
- Familiarity with the Kansas City DMA is a plus.
- College degree preferred or equivalent related work experience.