KSBW-TV on California’s magnificent Central Coast is searching for an Assignment Desk Editor. This position requires a curious mind, the ability to use social media as a gathering tool, a knack for multi-tasking and superior communication skills. The Monterey / Salinas / Santa Cruz is a hectic breaking news market and you will be asked not only to keep up but to lead the charge. You will also be required to identify hard news enterprise and deeper dive stories while also managing and trafficking multiple reporter and photographers.
- Listen to multiple police scanners which cover more than a dozen agencies throughout our market—must have great “scanner ears”.
- Gather and organize press releases, emails, phone calls and viewer tips. Take initiative and decide which of the above will yield compelling content for newscasts.
- Assist news management with content gathering and planning.
- Assist producers, digital editors and reporters with story gathering.
- Keep track of crews in the field and maintain communication with them.
- Furnish content to KSBW.com and post it to all digital platforms—including but not limited to sending push alerts, Twitter and Facebook posts.
- Must be highly organized.
- Have the ability to work multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to foster and maintain professional working relationships with newsmakers.
- Have the ability to gather information from multiple sources simultaneously and quickly push it out to anchors, reporters, producers and digital editors.
- Must have a sense of urgency and be able to thrive in a high pressure breaking news and weather environment.
- Be able to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations.
- A college degree is preferred.
- At least three years of desk experience is required.