The mandate of the Hearst Television Digital team is to deliver timely and accurate news and weather coverage across the station’s multi-platform offerings, optimizing social media and user engagement.
The DIGITAL EDITOR roles supports this mission by publishing text and video content from a variety of outlets, including the station newsroom, the Internet, wire services, social media, as well as traditional news sources and publishes that content on multiple platforms.
The DIGITAL EDITOR reports to the Digital Media Manager.
- Writes and edits materials for target audiences integrating engaging and creative text, still images, video and audio components, in a thoughtful presentation for multiple platforms including mobile, tablet, desktop and social media such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Provides continuous updating, revising and expanding of developing stories.
- Collaborates in building daily mobile & web content with station news management, reporters, photographers, assignment editors and producers.
- Works with newsroom to create digital-original content, primarily video, for presentation on social media as well as on the station’s mobile and web platforms.
- Provides added content to digital reporting efforts.
- Posts content to social media (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc.) in strategic ways that drive engagement and click-thru.
- Executes digital content plan on station-guided big events and major breaking news and weather.
- Provides digital content/social media/operations support to complement station programming, marketing and sales efforts.
- Integrates user generated content as part of “crowd sourcing” to complement our professional content.
- Demonstrated journalism background; strong news judgment; knowledge of legal and ethical issues in regards to digital media.
- Demonstrated social media background; knowledge of legal and ethical issues surrounding social media. Ability to identify emerging social media platforms and how best to integrate them into daily coverage.
- Highly developed digital skill set with experience in content management systems, HTML, and knowledge of coding for the web.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere video editing software.
- A bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field is preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively with digital and broadcast journalists.
- Knowledge of editing and AP Stylebook standards.
- Ability to pass writing and editing test.
- Ability to convey complex subject matter in clear and engaging fashion.
- Ability to catch spelling errors without electronic assistance.
- Ability to manage time and meet multiple daily deadlines for various projects.
- Ability to be flexible in schedule to cover major and/or breaking news events.
- Ability to work with a positive attitude.
- Ability to work well in a multitasking environment with frequent interruptions, paying close attention to details.
- Preferably 1 -3 years prior experience working for a television news station, daily newspaper or in a digital environment.